Dear All

The approximate scale of immigration into England and Wales can be
gauged from the 2001 Census National Report data on Country of Birth i.e.

52 million – Total Population
47.4 m – born in UK
0.5 m – born in Ireland
1.0 m – Rest of Europe
0.8 m – Africa
0.2 m – Middle East
0.4 m - East Asia
1.0 m – South Asia
0.5 m – North America
0.1m – South America
0.2 m – Oceania

Less than 5 million people in England and Wales were born outside the UK
(under 10 percent). In theory everyone else in the EU, about 300 million
people could come and live in the UK, in practice it has not happened
and is not going to happen. Numerous studies show that the UK born
population benefits considerably both economically and culturally from
its 4.7 million foreign born immigrant population.

Best wishes

Dave Gordon

John Logsdon wrote:

>While the UK migration may have been net outflow in the past - ie in times
>of imperialism - there have been substantial benefits both of this outflow
>as it subsequently provided markets and manpower for wars etc plus of the
>inflow in providing stimulus.
>
>In some countries, emigration is a serious problem but historically this
>has not IMHO been the source of the loss of UK influence - that has been
>more to do with 2 devastating wars and the inevitable rise of more
>productive economies due to our inadequate managers and politicians of the
>20th century.
>
>The UK - England in particular - has benefitted not only from immigration
>but also in the longer term view from exporting people, culture (well
>poltical systems and liberal economics are sorts of culture) and language
>(with a little help from former colonies) around the world.
>
>Isn't it curious that in the recent BBC poll of the Greatest Briton, the
>winner was Isambard Kingdom Brunel.  He was the son of a French Hugenot
>emigrant who moved to New York after the revolution only to come to
>England to build the world's first production line in Portsmouth in 1802
>making pulley blocks for the Navy.  Where would we have been without him?
>
>Long may migration carry on, also spracht ein old fogey.
>
>John
>
>John Logsdon                               "Try to make things as simple
>Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK         as possible but not simpler"
>[log in to unmask]              [log in to unmask]
>+44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675       www.quantex-research.com
>

>On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, John Bibby wrote:
>

>>As is so often the case, this is not really just about numbers.
>>
>>What seems pefectly clear is:
>>        1. Globalisation has increased. (Didn't Marx predict this?)
>>        2. People are moving about more - especially the young and economically
>>active.
>>        3. Old fogeys don't always like this. Nor do others who feel threatened.
>>        4. Some immigrants are buggers.
>>        5. Others are not.
>>        6. There's always a fear that we are losing out to others who are
>>younger/more able/richer/more beautiful/slyer than us.
>>        7. Some countries have net-inflow. Others have net-outflow.
>>        8. The UK has been net out-flow for centuries. Right now we may be in-flow.
>>        9. Race matters. (for some more than others)
>>        10. Counting is difficult.
>>
>>Would anyone care to add to this list? ......#
>>

>>JOHN BIBBY

Dave Gordon
Townsend Centre for International Poverty Research
University of Bristol
8 Priory Road
Bristol BS8 1TZ, UK

E-Mail: [log in to unmask]