(a) Does an individual taking part in competitive sport at school end
up as a healthier adult?
-- plausibly yes, but it would strain the best panel data to show it
and even then the *causal* link could be denied.
And other physical activity may be as good:
** M S Tremblay and J D Willms: 2003 Sept, Int. Jnl Obesity "Both
organized and unorganized sport and physical activity are negatively
associated with being overweight"

(b) Does a society emphasising competitive sport at school end up with
more healthy people (adults)?
-- plausibly no, for the alienating reason you describe.
Evidence quickly gathered is more about children than later life:
** Wacogne, Archives of Disease in Childhood 2003;88:100: "Australia
has the second highest levels of childhood obesity in the world, but at
the same time is one of the most active sporting nations in the
world."  [letter]

Anyway, might be of interest.

"A lighter topic" - pun intended??

Steve

Quoting Paul Spicker <[log in to unmask]>:

>       I thought people might appreciate a lighter topic.   You may
have
> noticed that the government has announced a new emphasis on
> competitive sport in schools; the Today programme wheeled out the
> usual talking heads to declare that this is essential to combat the
> rising tide of obesity.   What evidence do we have that competive
> sport at school is associated with an active lifestyle in later life?
>  If the experience of the US is anything to go by, a culture which
> promotes an interest in competitive sport may have not visible effect
> on obesity.  People who are engaged in competitive sport in their
> youth cannot maintain the activity into later life.   Those who are
> not engaged in it often experience sport as exclusive and alienating.
> There is also a strong gender bias.
>
>       The evidence I have from Scotland on physical activity comes
from
> the 1998 Scottish Health Survey, which you can find at
> http://www.show.scot.nhs.uk/scottishhealthsurvey/sh8-00.html.    They
> classify the main physical activity undertaken by children as
>
>       active play
>       sports and exercise
>       walking
>       housework and gardening.
>
>       The main physical activities for adults are
>
>       heavy housework
>       heavy gardening and DIY
>       walking
>       sports and exercise, and
>       activity at work.
>
>       Walking is the most important activity for regular exercise
among
> adults.  "Sport and exercise" does constitute part of an active
> lifestyle, but it includes non-competitive activites such as
> swimming, cycling, jogging and aerobics.  Unfortunately, the data
> available don't allow me to make the distinction.     Does anyone
> have better information?
>

>       Paul Spicker

Please note that if you press the 'Reply' button your
message will go only to the sender of this message.
If you want to reply to the whole list, use your mailer's
'Reply-to-All' button to send your message automatically
to [log in to unmask]