Dear all - I've been contacted by a lady called Pat Ibbotson who is
researching art-science links. I said I would pass on her request to
appropriate e-mail lists. If you can help PLEASE REPLY TO PAT AT
[log in to unmask] AND NOT TO ME. (This is especially relevant as I'm
on hols from the end of the week and will be suspending myself from the
list - so wouldn't be able to pass on list/personal replies to Pat
within her timeframe)

Thanks in advance for your help

Dianne

Dianne Stilwell
PR and Public Awareness Manager
The Institute of Physics
76 Portland Place
London
W1B 1NT
UK

Tel +44(0)20 7470 4875
Fax +44(0)20 7470 4848
E-mail [log in to unmask]

www.iop.org

Dear Dianne,

Undergraduate dissertation science/art

I am writing in reply to your very kind offer to help me locate material
for my fine art dissertation on the subject of present day collaboration
between the sciences and the visual arts.  The degree course is the BFA
(Hons) in Fine Art at Buckinghamshire Chilterns University College, High
Wycombe.  I am taking it as a mature student in retirement (having taken
a degree in Modern Languages at the normal age).  I would greatly
welcome the help of any artists, scientists or institutions that you may
be able to put me in touch with.

I am hoping that, inside the prescribed maximum of 8000 words, I can
combine discussion and analysis of some varied actual examples of
science/art association and collaboration, with an indication of wider
present key issues, ways forward and perhaps limits on what is possible.
My proposed dissertation question, subject to what future material might
suggest, is: "How far do certain specific recent examples of
collaboration between artists and scientists suggest that closer
association/collaboration between the visual arts and the sciences is
desirable or possible?"

I am thinking in terms of the visual fine arts, not graphics or design,
and I do not plan to include the social sciences or technology.  Because
I would like to consider both benefits and difficulties, failures in
association or collaboration would be as interesting as success.  I
would be most grateful for any information, thoughts or possible
contacts that artists and scientists might be willing to share.
Examples that occur to me are: projects they themselves have been
concerned in which might be relevant; names of contacts who might be
particularly knowledgeable or involved in the field, including people in
institutions or organisations, eg the Arts Council, the Wellcome
Foundation, NESTA, the Gulbenkian Foundation; any written, web or other
source they would recommend as particularly relevant; any thoughts or
issues they think I should take particular account of.

There is a close timetable on this, as I need to have followed up
contacts, and completed all information gathering and put it in order,
by mid September latest.  So I would be very grateful to hear from
people as quickly as they can (particularly about possible further
contacts).

Sincerely, and thank you,  Patricia Ibbotson, [log in to unmask]

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com

send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com nomail

2. To resume email from the list, send the following message:

set psci-com mail

leave psci-com

4. Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list archive,
can be found at the list web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html

5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication and science
and society can be found at http://psci-com.org.uk