Dear all,

Apologies for cross posting…

Does anyone have any feelings (or know of any research) about the type
of demos done in a science show, and how memorable they are? Tricky
thing to assess I know, although I’m sure we all have a gut feeling for
it…

I was thinking of some categories for example:

1.      VOLUNTEERS - a demo using people as props (using volunteers)
2.      WOW - demos which use ‘WOW’ equipment that people will not have
themselves at home
3.      DO TRY THIS AT HOME - demos using everyday equipment from around
the home
4.      ANALOGY or MODEL - analogies showing an electric circuit for
example using ping-pong balls
5.      MULTI-MEDIA – log on and try it from your computer
6.      SENSORY – taste, sound, touch, etc

I’m sure that a great science show has all these elements in it, but has
there ever been any literature that looks into the specific types of
demonstrating science when compared to the impact the show has on the
audience short or long term?

If you have any thoughts or have ever seen any previous research on
this, I’d really like to hear from you. I guess there may be some
literature on more formal teaching using equipment and props that could
be applied here? This is for a research project I am doing for the Open
University on science communication techniques, based on a Physics based
demo show I did across the UK in 2001-2.

Look forward to a lively discussion!

Wendy

www.science-made-simple.co.uk

Wendy Sadler
science made simple
2 Limeslade Close
Fairwater
Cardiff CF5 3BD
tel/fax: 029 2091 4813
mob: 07811 424531

BIG-chat is a service from the British Interactive Group,
the only organisation in the UK for individuals interested
in all forms of interactivity. For more information, go to
http://www.big.uk.com
Post message: [log in to unmask]
Topic archive at http://www.big.uk.com/chat
Subscribe:         [log in to unmask]

     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com nomail

2. To resume email from the list, send the following message:

set psci-com mail

leave psci-com

4. Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list archive,
can be found at the list web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html

5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication and science
and society can be found at http://psci-com.org.uk