From: psci-com: on the public understanding of science on behalf of Laura Grant
Sent: Mon 20/12/2004 11:15
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PSCI-COM] Using children to evaluate new interactives

Hi Dee

I have evaluated a number of science education & science communication
activities for my PhD, and although these have not included interactive
exhibits, there is one point it might be useful for you to think about.  I
would make sure that if you are to use questionnaires the language is
simple enough for an 8-year-old to understand, and the questionnaire is not
too long.  Written questionnaires are an easy and cost-effective way to
collect information, but in this case they may introduce a bias towards
children with better reading and writing skills.  I'd recommend trying them
out on some 8-year-olds beforehand.  Alternatively I have used individual
or paired interviews to collect data from this age group which has worked
very well, although it is more labour-intensive.  You can ask more detailed
questions, and probe interviewees for the reasons behind their responses.
Also teachers and parents would be valuable people to ask whether the
interactives are pitched at the right level for their students/children

I hope this helps, maybe people from science centres would have some
further suggestions?

Laura

Laura Grant
Science Communication Unit
Department of Physics
University of Liverpool
Liverpool L69 7ZE

T: 0151 794 6795
M: 07870 243931
F: 0151 794 3444
E: [log in to unmask]

--On 17 December 2004 14:42 +0000 Dee Davison
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]
> have designed them to be pitched at the level of eight year old children.
>

> We hope to undertake evaluation trials with children early in January and
> would like to give the children simple evaluation forms for them to
> complete, with standardised questions.
>

> Have any of you ever dome this? If so, we would be extremely grateful if
> you could share nay information with us.
>

> Huge thanks
>

> Dee Davison
>
> Education Manager
>
> Dynamic Earth Enterprises Ltd
>
> Holyrood Road
>
> EDINBURGH
>
> EH8 8AS
>

> Direct Dial - 0131 523 1231
>
> E-Mail - [log in to unmask]
>

> t - +44 (0)131 550 7800
>
> f - +44 (0)131 550 7801
>
> e - [log in to unmask]
>
> w - www.dynamicearth.co.uk
>

> Pre-historic, volcanic, tropic, antarctic, fantastic!
>
> Explore the extremes of Our Dynamic Earth!
>

> FOR A TRADITIONAL CHRISTMAS PARTY THAT'S JUST A LITTLE MORE DYNAMIC!
>
> Eat, Drink, Dance, Party ... Sparkle
>

> To find out more e-mail [log in to unmask] or call the party
> hotline on 0131 523 1292
>

> This message is sent in confidence for the addressee only.  The contents
> are not to be disclosed to anyone other than the addressee.  Unauthorised
> recipients are requested to preserve this confidentiality and to advise
> the sender immediately of any error in transmission.  Opinions,
> conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to
> the official business of the Company shall be understood as neither given
> nor endorsed by it.
>

>   **********************************************************************
>
> 1. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for example, send
> an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:
>
> set psci-com nomail
>
> 2. To resume email from the list, send the following message:
>
> set psci-com mail
>
> 3. To leave psci-com, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the
> message:
>
> leave psci-com
>
> 4. Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list
> archive, can be found at the list web site:
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html
>
> 5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication
> and science and society can be found at http://psci-com.org.uk

send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com nomail

2. To resume email from the list, send the following message:

set psci-com mail

leave psci-com

4. Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list archive,
can be found at the list web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html

5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication and science

This incoming email to UWE has been independently scanned for viruses and any virus detected has been removed using McAfee anti-virus software

This email has been independently scanned for viruses and any virus detected has been removed using McAfee anti-virus software