Most of the middle of the article - the rant about field trips and the
somewhat sweeping (borderline hilarious) statement that the Soviet
Union failed due to an inability to innovate despite its reverence of
scientists - strikes me as irrelevant to the main argument. Which so
far as I can tell goes like this:

1. Children aren't very good at / don't enjoy science.
2. If they become scientists, we won't pay them very well anyway.
3. Therefore, they shouldn't have to bother with it.
[omitted middle of article]
4. However, we still need scientists.
5. So let's import them as cheap labour.

While I could characterise that as 'flawed logic,' I'm not even sure
that an argument is advanced in the first place. If anything it's an
economics argument masquerading as moral philosophy/social policy.
Which is either sloppy thinking or plain disingenuous.

Anyone else care to pick apart the structure? It's a long time since I
did this sort of thing, but I recognise the feeling in the pit of my
stomach: this looks to me like stating a contentious view simply to get
a rise out of people, with little concern paid to whether the argument
is coherent. Which, as others have noted, is a pity, since some of the
detail points are interesting.

Sophia, you used to be good at ripping apart my blithe assertions -
care to do the same trick here? :-)

--
Jonathan Sanderson
'If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter.' (Pascal)

send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com nomail

2. To resume email from the list, send the following message:

set psci-com mail

leave psci-com

4. Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list archive,
can be found at the list web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html

5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication and science
and society can be found at http://psci-com.org.uk