Hello Caroline,

We had a stand with "hands-on" experiments at the recent BA Festival of Science in Exeter.  The kids loved them (and the activities at all the other stands in the hall) ! - I asked quite a few of our visitors if they did do experiments of this kind at school and the majority said that they did not.  I also went to a Meccano workshop and one of the educators there commented that many young children had to learn that "for nuts one required bolts, too."

Just a few examples of some sad developments and I'm not surprised that less and less children are interested in science and want to study chemistry etc at university level.

The solution(s) ?  Well, I am sure there are many approaches, we do the following:
- project oriented workshops in schools, eg URL http://www.seed.slb.com/en/voices/education/thailand_lwd/index.htm
- active learning (constructionism), eg URL http://www.seed.slb.com/en/voices/science/villahermosa/index.htm
- virtual experiments that support real experiments, eg URL http://www.seed.slb.com/en/scictr/lab/buoy_exp/index.htm
- "Lab in a Lorry", an interactive mobile physics lab staffed by volunteer practising physicists and engineers, URL http://www.labinalorry.org/

Best wishes, Bernd

Bernd Eggen
Science Expert
SEED Foundation (SEED = Schlumberger Excellence in Educational Development)
URL http://www.seed.slb.com/