Hello Caroline,

We had a stand with "hands-on" experiments at the recent BA Festival of
Science in Exeter.  The kids loved them (and the activities at all the
other stands in the hall) ! - I asked quite a few of our visitors if they
did do experiments of this kind at school and the majority said that they
did not.  I also went to a Meccano workshop and one of the educators there
commented that many young children had to learn that "for nuts one required
bolts, too."

Just a few examples of some sad developments and I'm not surprised that
less and less children are interested in science and want to study
chemistry etc at university level.

The solution(s) ?  Well, I am sure there are many approaches, we do the
following:
- project oriented workshops in schools, eg URL
http://www.seed.slb.com/en/voices/education/thailand_lwd/index.htm
- active learning (constructionism), eg URL
http://www.seed.slb.com/en/voices/science/villahermosa/index.htm
- virtual experiments that support real experiments, eg URL
http://www.seed.slb.com/en/scictr/lab/buoy_exp/index.htm
- "Lab in a Lorry", an interactive mobile physics lab staffed by volunteer
practising physicists and engineers, URL http://www.labinalorry.org/

Best wishes, Bernd

Bernd Eggen
Science Expert
SEED Foundation (SEED = Schlumberger Excellence in Educational Development)
URL http://www.seed.slb.com/

At 14:06 28/09/2004 +0000, you wrote:
>I just had lunch with someone who told me that most schools no longer let
>pupils use bunsen burners for fear of falling foul of health and safety. Is
>this true? If so, what on earth do they do in chemistry/physics/biology
>lessons?
>

>Caroline Davis
>Reporter - Times Higher Education Supplement
>
>Admiral House
>66-68 East Smithfield
>London   E1W 1BX
>Tel +44 (0)20 7782 3296
>Fax +44 (0)20 7782 3300
>www.thes.co.uk

send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com nomail

2. To resume email from the list, send the following message:

set psci-com mail

leave psci-com

4. Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list archive,
can be found at the list web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html

5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication and science
and society can be found at http://psci-com.org.uk