Hi,

I am a bit concerned that pre-testing ones work for plagiarism with turnitin
is only loading the database for more false positives in the future since
each submission is cross checked with the others. I found it frustrating to
keep finding my test documents again and again. I have since moved to using
JISCPAS and used it for a practical where I asked bioscience students to
deliberately cheat - create an example of plagiarised work, including lifting
text from each other, so we could see how these were picked up. I explained
that this was only one of the tools in our armoury. Most were significantly
impressed.

This was done not in a threatening or accusative way. We were illustrating
the lengths that we are going to, to protect the academic integrity of their
efforts - what value has a good mark if it can be easily overtaken or diluted
by a cheat?

With my other hat on here in the LTSN centre for Bioscience, our plagiarism
SIG for Biosciences looked at many aspects of plagiarism and one of the most
common was collusion, not net-lifting. A tool which could compare the
semantics of the text and pull out para-phrasing had been developed
commercially and a free limited version was released for HE. Bulk uploads of
word files are supported. This is CopyCatch.

This is one of the most impressive bits of code (tiny 74k of java) I had seen
for a while and we thought it particularly useful.

See http://bio.ltsn.ac.uk/network/sigs/plagiarism/

Regards,

Terry McAndrew
C&IT Manager
LTSN Centre for Bioscience
Room 8.49n
Worsley Medical and Dental building
University of Leeds
LS2 9JT

Tel:    +44 (0) 113 343 3593
Fax:    +44 (0) 113 343 5894
Email:  [log in to unmask]
http://bio.ltsn.ac.uk/

This Subject Centre is now part of the Higher Education Academy