Bobby, why is "getting your parents to help with coursework" a problem? I
can think of ways in which a parent can help their child with no problems
whatsoever. Moreover, if I happen to be, say, a professional mathematician
or a highly qualified accountant and my child is preparing an assignment on
mathematical approaches to depreciation policies in financial statements,
are you saying that I am not allowed to help my child? Are you then saying
that I am allowed to help someone else's child because I am not their
parent?

I know of a case where a child had an assignment for his GCSE Business
Studies project and his father is an accountant and lecturer. It seemed
natural enough that the father was used by his son as a resource and they
worked side by side on aspects of the project. The teacher saw that the work
the boy had done was good and asked if the boy had prepared it himself
which, in the end, he had. The teacher then tested the boy on his
understanding of key ideas and aspects of the work and the boy was able to
answer all of the questions satisfactorily. That is, one person helped with
the education of another. The other person accepted the help and was able to
benefit from it. The student then was better able to respond to the
assignment and demonstrated both in writing and orally that he had benefited
from his efforts. The father had a web site that included matters
appropriate to the assignment and the son included that web site in his
references.

Is there a problem here Bobby? Isn't there a phrase along the lines of
sitting on the shoulders of giants?

Duncan

  _____