The one good thing to say about Frank's articles is that they certainly
do stimulate discussion. I think I recall a previous articles from the
Times Higher where he discussed whether students were 'customers' and he
has also brought up whether 'spin leads to litigation' in reference to
the advertising standards of universities.

Personally I think I would want to actually look deeper at the writing
and argument styles used by Frank  before being carried further on a
wave of discussion and criticism of either teaching or learning and the
good work that it being dome in this area. His first paragraph opens
subjectively .... a young colleague (suggests an inexperienced academic
to me - new to the job) working in a university in the North-East ( ?
Northumbria)..... 18 students .... 15 plagiarised - why the high rate on
her particular module?  What exactly was the purpose of the advice from
the more senior academic - maybe it was meant as guidance to a younger
inexperienced colleague not to expose her inefficiencies as a
teacher............and I could go on.

Frank certainly presents us with a very slippery slope!

It is interesting that he notes that 'many academics and administrators
are privately horrified' - there was I thinking that they were in
publicly funded jobs and actually had a duty to carry these out
professionally.

Lets return to reality - I think that working from the opposite point of
view - i.e. that my job primarily serves to defend and assist students
when they become embroiled with procedures - that Jude comes fairly near
my own viewpoint - but the problem is that more academics like Jude are
needed as at the moment there are far more people willing to
sensationalize plagiarism for their own agenda or hawks that have little
insight into their own failures in failing to provide a quality service.

Margarita Rainford
Academic Affairs Co-ordinator
USSU