Dear all,

We have recently been asked if any University and College policies on
plagiarism include specific guidance for lecturers with regard to the
development and content of their teaching material and lecture notes. The
enquirer has searched a few University websites and found plenty of policies
and guidance notes aimed at students but can find nothing written for
academics.

Although we don't receive many enquiries in this area we are aware that it
is a concern, and that the repercussions of any charge of plagiarism against
an academic can be extremely serious, so any information that you have would
be of great benefit.

Regards

Fiona

Dr Fiona Duggan
Plagiarism Advisory Service Manager
Information Management Research Institute
Room 122 Lipman Building
Northumbria University
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 8ST

e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Tel:     0191 243 7410

The Plagiarism Advisory Service offers general guidance only on issues
relevant to plagiarism prevention and detection. Such guidance does not
constitute definitive or legal advice and should not be regarded as a
substitute therefor. In particular guidance given by the Service will not
take account of provisions of any relevant assessment or other governing
regulations. The Service will not give advice on the interpretation of any
regulations and all guidance is given subject to the relevant regulations.
The Plagiarism Advisory Service does not accept any liability for any loss
suffered by persons who consult the Service whether or not such loss is
suffered directly or indirectly as a result of reliance placed on guidance
given by the Service.