Dear Eduardo, Kari-Hans and others

I would like to narrow the discussion to conference structure and i hope it is
an interesting topic (for some).

I think blind-review is a fairly good mechanism to safeguard DELIBERATE
discrimination of different sorts, such as sex, skin color, origin of country,
etc.
However, blind-review may not be especially effective for NON-DELIBERATE
distinction, (which i think is Kari-Hans'point). Sometimes an assessment which
appears appropriate to the reviewers (who so diligently apply all their
understanding and judgement to do the job right), may not be seen as
appropriate to others who happen to have different values, interests and/or
styles of thinking and expression, or in short different points of view.

This is, I think, the problem expressed by Maria and Kati when they told us
the anedotes about the dissatisfaction of some Latin-Amercian and Kenyan
colleagues had in some certain design conferences. I have asked for
suggestions to address this problem. And now I would like to open it up again:

1 Will an open-review process a better alternative to the blind-review
process?

The virtual cum real conference 'the basic Paradox' organized by Wolfgang
Jonas and his colleagues although was an invited conference, the discussion
was open and (also in two languages mostly). It seems that open discussion is
better than blind-review in allowing more voices to be heard in public. And
hearing more voices is helpful in preventing rigidity of thoughts in
individuals and in communities, and thus it is in my mind, an important issue
in terms of making 'progress'.

2 In terms of problem of different languages and different habits of
articulating ideas of importance, are there any good example within or outside
of our design community that is worth thinking about?

In the "Communicational Space" conference organized by Jorge Frascara and his
colleagues, there was simultaneous interpretation between Spanish and English,
although some interpretations were more comprehensible than others. I would
like to know if it is a valuable practice to have.

Best Regards
Rosan