It's nice to know that Ken and I are in such agreement. But the
substantive issue remains and that is that

> our own research certainly flourishes in ways that I do not think
> would be possible in academia. But that is because there are
> structural systemic features in academia that would inhibit our type
> of research, even if academia was well funded.

And, following Ken's contribution, I would add that I believe this
would remain the case even if I was working in one of the research
universities…
> that tend to generate a rich combination of basic, applied, and
> clinical research, often in partnerships and networks with other
> universities and with industry.

I may be wrong, but as some of our research is in the public domain,
you can make up your own mind about whether or not you think it could
have flourished in the way it has, if it had been done in a university.
And that brings me back to Jon Allen's original question about where
the leading design research is being done. Jon, in so far as research
is about formulating the right type of question to ask, I think the
fact that you are asking that particular question puts you in a leading
position among design researchers.

David