Cindy, Rosan et al

I haven't come across explicit discussion of 'design' in works by 'philosophers' very often. The most relevant for me was:

Harrison, A. (1978) Making and Thinking: A study of intelligent activities, Harvester Press.

Pragmatism, Phenomenology, Existentialism, Radical Humanism, to name but four philosohpical traditions, are full of ideas that 'apply directly to design process', but the job of interpretation in these circumstances is significantly ours as design researchers, and we have to be careful not to do violence to the original theories in the process. I would love to hear of other philosophers who have engaged explicitly with 'design' and 'designing' as a philosophical problem.

Dr Geoff Matthews
Course Leader MA Interdisciplinary Design
Lincoln School of Architecture
University of Lincoln, UK