Dear Jan,

I'm not sure why the possible directions of inquiry in design would be
called categories.  I don't think of them as categories at all.  I think of
them as themes or places of inquiry.

In any case, my interest in the matter is to better understand how doctoral
students describe their work.  It is an empirical question, with no
ulterior motives.  However, I do believe that students may find it useful
to think about the broader perspectives within which their work may be
understood.  It is always a challenge for students--and others--to explain
where they believe their contribution is being made.

Richard

Richard Buchanan
Carnegie Mellon University

--On Monday, December 20, 2004 1:26 PM +1030 Jan Coker