Jon,

What words can describe a rose that smell so sweet?

 Perhaps art and poetry can come closer to describing the sensorial
reality of a rose better than any scholarly journal. That is perhaps why
art and poetry exist but are sometimes considered inferior to a
scholarly article. Culture and science are difficult bedfellows.

______________________________

R   o   b     C   u   r   e   d   a   l   e
Professor, Chair Product Design
College for Creative Studies Detroit
201 East Kirby
Detroit MI 48202-4034

Phone: 313 664 7625
Fax:      313 664 7620
email: [log in to unmask]
http://www.ccscad.edu
______________________________
>>> Jon Allen <[log in to unmask]> 10/07/04 3:37 AM >>>
Dear Carla,

Should a PhD in design be described in cultural terms?

We think it is unhelpful to describe studio invention as a contribution
to knowledge.  This remains the key criterion for the PhD beyond the
Faculty at Monash, as in all universities.  But we felt strongly that
the imaginative work of artists and designers in creating new ways of
looking, forming and interacting should not be defined in terms of
knowledge, because this falsifies not only the sensory, intuitive and
creative processes of making but also their patterns of evaluation, as
with the sundry formalist and ideological, symbolic and metaphorical
criteria that may be engaged by a critic.  Meaning in art and design
cannot be reduced to knowledge except with great pretension or
evasiveness; and so how much less available are the creative processes
to such a narrow epistemological framework?

Better, therefore, to define the PhD as making a substantial
contribution of cultural significance.  The specification of cultural
significance has greatly helped us to recognize the rigour proper to
research in the studio disciplines, which of course design is.

We talk about research in terms of the 'contribution to knowledge', but
the real premise of design is not to contribute to knowledge, but rather
to contribute to the betterment of the human condition.  This is a
crucial issue, and one that I feel is often missed by design researchers
in their search for 'new knowledge'.

Is knowledge explicitly the goal of design research, or rather should we
redefine design research in terms of design's contribution to humanity,
culture, and society?

This is a pressing issue for the design research community, and will be
an underlying theme that the *Futureground Conference* will address. I
think you would benefit from coming - especially as there is a discount
for PhD students.

Kind regards,

Jon Allen
Academic Co-ordinator Futureground