On 6/8/04 6:29 AM, "BUCHLER Daniela M" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The reason I ask is that I am currently trying to use visual perception
> methods to test for degrees of visibly perceptible shape
> differentiation. I am working on the premise that it is possible to
> isolate and consider objectively the basic level visualization, prior to
> identification, recognition, interpretation

What is your definition of basic level visualization? I doubt that anything
that makes it into consciousness is uninterpreted - i.e. has not referenced
knowledge from prior experience. The recognition of difference begins early
in infancy and quickly becomes semantic as it recognizes patterns (faces for
example) that begin to acquire culturally useful meanings.  Infants also
come into the world with the capacity to hear every sound in any language
but quickly pare this down so that they hear only the sound in the languages
used around them. From a visual point of view, the gestalt principles of
organization probably come the closest to an abstract generalization of how
such patterns might be categorized but be sure you read Marr and Kosslyn
before you settle on your definition of basic level visualization.

Best wishes, (and please let me know your results)

Charles Burnette