Dear David

At least with the Promised Land story it arises out of choice to de-camp and go elsewhere. The banishment model of the Garden of Eden is more my own experience too, though I probably still wonder about "liberation" - freedom from or freedom to?

 I wasn't aiming to diminish the severity or generality of the irritants and their usefulness as a guide to true needs. I think I follow Dewey in his methods in Art as Experience - we set out to provoke the conditions needed to promote our growth - such are the marks of creative people who maintain their creativity throughout their adult lives.

This could also be seen as a Miltonic model - we know what we are doing when we eat of the apple and more than this, we understand that the Angel doesn't understand what we are doing.

But this is not radical in the oppositional sense - rather it is radical in the conservative sense that there are roots to things and they need conserving regardless of whether this means being seen to be inside or outside of the so-called conservative institutions.

Hey mate, I'm not square - I'm cubical.

all the best

keith russell
OZ newcastle