Dear Fil,

I'm not sure what the example you provide shows - if I show a reader of
English a "novel" sentence and they understand it without reference to
the grammar, syntax, phonetics etc, I wouldn't be at all surprised.

Show illustrations that include "nouns" (gears) and "verbs" (arrrows) in
structure relationships is a language - yes.

700 technical words might take more time but that is a matter of choice
just as the pictures are a matter of choice. (650 good words might take
less?)

If there were elements of "novelty" at the level of grammar and/or
syntax in the illustration then I am sure the amount of time required to
"read" the pictures would go up.

Keith Russell
OZ Newcastle

Filippo A. Salustri

I have a diagram of a gear system.  There are a few text labels, but
mostly
the diagram is a bunch of partly or completely overlapping boxes with
some
arrows connecting them up.  I show the diagram to a group of engineers.
tell them they have 15 seconds to study the diagram, and that I will
then
ask them questions.
Cheers.
Fil