In the social world every situation is unique. Although we have developed
principles that guide our behavior, sometimes an exception to the principle
is OK as long as the well being of the other party is not affected.

I think that in this case we didn't experience any manipulation. The alias
was intended for protection of the author and not for discrediting a list
member. On the other hand, we need to consider that the alias approach was
used because the discussant wanted to escape from an overt confrontation
with list members. This poses a number of other questions about the
discussion ethics -- who is pressuring whom and in what ways. Democratic
procedures allow a large group of people or a small, well organized group
of people to impose their views and believes to the detriment of science
and other institutions. I have mentioned several times to this list that
Adolf Hitler was elected in 1933 in democratic elections. He created the
dictatorship after that. So, consider the this side as well.

I don't believe that a list member was discredited. The outcomes of the
experiment didn't affect the well being of any member of our group.

I don't believe that it will be helpful for any of the parties as well as
the whole community to continue this debate. Actually, the discussion might
do more harm than good.

In this light, it is enough to mention the case, develop a common policy
for future interactions, and close the case. Just let's agree that in the
future we would not use aliases.

With kind regards,

Lubomir Popov, Ph.D.