First, a happy new year to all of you!

Regarding the social aspects of design objects:

Each profession has its own logic of development. This logic often stems from the intrinsic motivation of the professional community. Changes in the profession are initiated both from inside the professional community and from outside, from the society at large.

At this point of time, it is more than obvious that the physical design community is preoccupied with aesthetic pursuits. This is their own choice. We should not expect from them that they themselves will go against their own interests and make a change in favor of society at large. It will be design voluntarism to expect that designers would like to change their beautiful dream.

It is the society that has to promulgate this change through its various mechanisms and it is up to society to do this. If society doesn't press enough at this time, that is indicative. In a market environment, if the client doesn't demand, the supply agent would not go forward. The supply agents respond to market demands. (Of of course, we are aware that they also shape the demand within the limits that the demand side allows them.)

The whole idea that physical designers should initiate the change in their thinking regarding more socially responsive design is not feasible. The key to a change is very simple, yet evidently not ready -- it is the client demand. The client demand will change the market, the education, and the design community.

Using this premise as a stepping stone, we can come to the conclusion that all this enlightening and educative work should have the society at large as a prime target, rather than the design community. Once society changes its demand priorities, the designers would need to respond.

If there are interest groups who want socially responsive design, they should target society and develop programs for increasing social awareness regarding artifact quality priorities. Everything else will be a beautiful musing of a handful (or 1200 or more) of intellectuals which unfortunately will produce little or no success. There are a lot of examples of this kind in the history of the humankind. Professions and social groups rarely change from within. Most often, changes take place because of external pressure.

Regards,

Lubomir Popov