From: Bacons [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 06 March 2004 15:19
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Lab seating

Dear all, Apologies for length of this email - I work for an NHS trust and hope someone can advise me! I recently was asked to do a workstation assessment for a lab worker because she says her chair is too low and she has to stretch to look into the microscope thus giving her neck pain.Her manager said she has often requested new seats but is always told 'no money'.  The seats they have in the lab are the standard 5-base adjustable chairs designed for work stations. They all appear to have been adjusted to full height because the lab benches are higher than a standard desk and this would seem to be the 1st complaint about them.  However on observation, this lab worker certainly appeared to have to stretch to look into the microscope.  My question is, are there any HSE regulations specifically for labs & lab seating or does it just come under the Workplace,Health & Safety regs(11) that they must have suitable seating? Our H&S officer sent me a general HSE document about seating but it wasn't specific to labs. I know special lab seats exist but I don't know of a regulation that says labs must have them. All comments gratefully received!
Anna Bacon
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Please remove this footer before replying. Visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html for list archives

---