Can you mail the bulletin Chris as it would be much appreciated.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Packham [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 6:53 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: re latex

Sandy

If you look at the HSE website on latex you will see that they are not insisting on a latex free environment, nor is this necessarily the right answer. Latex offers certain properties that no other glove material can match. Unfortunately, there is a lot of hype and emotive nonsense talked about latex. I frequently have to explain the real facts to some of those occupational health nurses from the NHS when running one of our courses. If the trust is going latex free (and this is not easy and very expensive) then they MUST ensure that whatever alternative they choose provides AS LEAST AS HIGH a level of biological protection as does latex. To reduce the level of biological protection could increase the risk of infection, i.e. of damage to health, and put the trust in contravention of both COSHH and the PPR regulations. This could conceivably result in a criminal offence having been committted.

A review of literature shows that many cases of skin reactions assumed to be latex allergy are in reality irritant contact dermatitis. Type IV reactions to the chemicals used in gloves is more common than the true latex allergy and this can occur with other glove materials. Recently there has been a report of a type I reaction to a chemical in a vinyl glove.

If you want to know more I will happily e-mail you our Technical Bulletin on latex allergy which contains references to the studies I have alluded to.

Regards
Chris Packham