Hi Helen, I have the same problem. I live up North too. Some things are offerred by the RCN which would be useful to us but after a full day at work, sorting out my heavily dependant mum, rushing home in the traffic etc I think getting to Leeds would be a problem without crashing! Come to think of it, getting into Leeds would be a problem too. I tend to follow what Greta said and keep up my learning online, via peers and OH magazines. Peers I find the most useful and discussions I follow in this very valuable newsgroup. Luckily I can also phone a friend too (or one or two) who are very valuable resources in this area. Kind regards, Sue
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Helen Hannar
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 6:08 PM
Subject: Re: OH course venues

I live and work in the North East and tend to find that the majority of OH courses or workshops that I am particularly interested in take place in the South and London. I would have loved to have attended the talk in Oxford by Chris Packam but the distance prevented it. We seem to have a limited availabilty 'up north', or am I just looking in the wrong places.

I would agree with Greta that learning materials are available in a wide range of areas with the internet and web links as a fantastic resource, although I personally feel that they cannot replace good old fashioned get togethers to be taught a subject in a peer group with room for discussion and debate.

Distance Learning is not an easy option, although for many of us is the only way that we can obtain the necessary piece of paper that proves our knowledge.

Regards, Helen

> Message date : Mar 03 2004, 09:14 AM
> From : "Greta Thornbory" <[log in to unmask]>
> To : [log in to unmask]
> Copy to :
> Subject : Re: OH course venues

This is of course why a recent event put on in Oxford at 6pm about Occupational Dermatitis - Chris Packham spoke for an hour ( he was wonderful everyone said) - was attended by only about 8 occupational health nurses out of the 50 that attended despite the fact it was free and included a free buffet supper. It was advertised on this site, and for 2 months OH journal, in the RCN Bulletin and all Oxfordshire based Society of OH RCN members received a personal postcard.

So - can anyone explain to me why when there are free events, and that includes RCN Congress with 300 CPD events - still you say these things?

Greta