along with this advice the most inportant part of the medical is the eye sight test , that should be done on a balay machine visual aciity corrected vison 6/9 in one & 6/12 in the other visual fields defect should not be greater than 120 if you wouldlike a copy of the guidlines I could fax them to you
Chris Leek
-----Original Message-----
From: diane romano woodward [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 25 February 2004 05:33
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Fork Lift Truck Medicals

HI Greta and all

There is guidance on the medical aspects of lift truck drivers from the HSE- its an A4 document with a glossy cover which has to do with all aspects of lift Trucks and it is a small section at the back. This is the type of document an employer would buy in Waterstones, rather than an OH professional test.

As I do not have a copy to hand,  the following is from memory . I think I recall seeing a recommendation for screening 5 yearly.

The rationale behind these measurements ( I.e. excluding untreated hypertension and diabetes ), is that they might cause alteration/of consciousness.
There would also be questions on any current  medication which might affect ability to drive and alcohol intake.

The test of hearing (simple or automated) is to ensure that the operator will be able to hear warnings. The text discusses the use of hearing aids I think.

It does talk a bit about persons who have  or develop disabilities. It is possible to drive a lift truck with only one functioning eye,( as experience in the task may compensate) but probably best not to start training with this problem. With most disabilities, experience of driving and an accident free record are positive indicators.

I would be interested in hearing where I can access the references you mention re urinalysis.

The question regarding glycosuria was intended to broaden my knowledge- I know that for some dip stick tests a high intake of ascorbic acid can give false positives, This is not the case with the sticks I use.

I undertake these medicals on a sessional basis on behalf of a national  OH provider. Unless they have a very slick sales department, employers must feel that these are of value and possibly a requirement ( I think they are  charged £50 per medical).
 I agree that some of the things sometimes added on seem to have little relevance (e.g.  peak flow measurement)

However, I am grateful for the income! And as they allow 45  minutes for the screening, I see 8 clients a day (on site), and it is  a sedate and satisfying day's work..
Best wishes,
Diane