Don't worry - if you were wearing your DSE specs focusing on middle distance you would not be able to clearly see the man of your dreams entering the room so no problem!!!

Suppliers such as UVEX etc do have some frames which are acceptable and inexpensive - would cost less than £50 anyway.  Two of the companies I work for pay £40 towards the cost.

Lynda
-----Original Message-----
From: Car Barnes [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 12:34 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: DSE spectacles

Hi All,

I agree that the optician should be able to explain himself. But what is the age of the employees he is seeing? I always understood that minimal DSE correction would be needed in the younger population but is more likely to be needed in those over 40. Varifocal/bifocals are beginning to be seen as not appropriate for DSE use as they can encourage uncomfortable neck postures, so it may be that he is recommending a specific DSE prescription as he feels that normal varifocals, whilst in theory would correct the DSE aspect also from the visual acuity perspective, are not the best ergonomic solution? Have you questioned the optician? Also would ethic back ground affect usage? I mean, does visual acuity change more in one ethnicity than in others where age is concerned?

We also limit our DSE commitment to £50 for spectacles which they can use to buy basic ones or put towards a “nicer” frame – that’s up to them. From a girlie perspective I have to disagree with Trevor’s comment about basic NHS type frames “but they can't object to wearing them in the office” as the man of my dreams could walk in tomorrow and then what would I do with my ugly glasses on show?? But then again, as I said, probably a girlie thing!

Car