  From: Anne Harriss
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2004 11:21 PM
  Subject: Re: Years of OHN Courses

  on 18/1/04 9:08 pm, [log in to unmask] at [log in to unmask] wrote:

    Hi All

    I'm analysing stats for my dissertation and OHNs have put that they obtained the OH certificate between 1971 and 1994, the OH diploma from 1984 to date, and the OH degree from 1990 to date.  I need to establish if it was possible to obtain these levels of qualifications between these particular dates in the UK (or whether people have misread the question!).

    I would be grateful if anyone could advise me if there is a published article, paper, book, or internet site etc that would give the dates, and that I could quote from.

    Thank you in anticipation

    Maxine Oliver
    SPOHN ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Please remove this footer before replying. Visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html for list archives

  Hello Maxine

  Perhaps I can assist in clarification. I suspect that you are correct and that some of your participants have indeed misunderstood the question you were asking.

  I am answering this from memory as I was taught OH Nursing at the RCN Institute of Advanced Nursing Education (RCN IANE) from 1991 and was then the course director from 1995 until we moved to London South Bank University in 2000.

  To my knowledge the OH diploma  was not available in 1984 but I think that there was a route through the Diploma in Nursing for people working in OH (the qualification would have been Diploma in Nursing not Diploma in OH Nursing - a subtle difference). Most people would have studied the OHNC as that gave qualified OHN status and I don't think the Dip Nurse (OH) did. I would have thought that OHNs who held the OHNC may have gone on to study for the Dip Nurse (OH) as part of their CPD. In 1984 the OH qualification which conferred qualified OHN status was validated by the RCN. The DOHN came along when the validation transferred to the  ENB. I am unsure of the date but suspect it was around 1987. (I studied the OHNC in 1985-6 and I know the DOHN was in the process of  development at that time.)

  Most institutions developed a BSc of some sort in the mid 1990's. The RCN, as it was at the time, developed a BSc (Hons) Health Studies which incorporated the DOHN in about 1995. Other institutions developed similar courses at around the same time. The RCN IANE developed their first BSc (Hons) OH Nursing degree in ??1997.

  Did you make any reference on your questionaire to the MSc I think it was first offered at the University of Surrey. I commenced  the MSc at Surrey in about 1995 and it had been running for several years before that. Jen Egger the course Director at that university may be able to assist if you need more info re that course.

  I hope this is helpful

  Regards

  Anne Harriss
  Course Director BSc (Hons) Occupational Health Nursing London South Bank University ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Please remove this footer before replying. Visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html for list archives

  ---