on 4/2/04 9:37 pm, Jean Piernicki at [log in to unmask] wrote:

Dear List
The one thing all OH has in common is variety and difference. Such a wide range!  I am constantly amazed at the variety of skills employed across the board.
Just to add my situation to others..
I am employed by the NHS to supply OH to a University. I am regarded as an equal to the Head of the Safety Office (although he is responsible to the university for the service). He resisted the request to be called Head of "Health" and Safety because he says its not his area of work but OH's and wants no confusion. We both report to the HR director who is a great advocate for the OH service.
I have no "interference" from either HR or the Safety Office but work as an intergal part of the team. I have the benefit of a good relationship with both HR and the safety advisers. Often it has been a case of ensuring good communication because it is easy for any of us to think we have the superior ground.
I think I am fortunate - especially as I am not employed by the University, to have such a good relationship.

Jean
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Please remove this footer before replying. Visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html for list archives

I read this response and the one from Kate Venables with interest and agree with both of you. to add to the debate.. a couple of years ago I did a guest lecture on an occupational health topic to a group of health and safety people who were coming to the end of the taught component of their MSc in Health and Safety, many of the group already held a H&S qualification .

My lecture included something on occupationally related ill health and the document Securing Health together . On completion of my lecture I asked if further clarification was required. One brave chap volunteered that he hadn't really understand the concept of health. It all goes to show that one shouldn't ever make any assumptions!