  From: Elaine Dobson
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2004 11:36 AM
  Subject: TREATMENT SERVICE

  Dear All

  I have prepared a presentation for a company who has asked for an assessment and recommendations for the future of their OH service.  I am happy with it so far but would like some more "ammunition" as to why the present treatment service should be discontinued.

  Current service

  SEN who has been in post for 20 years and is retiring - wears uniform!

  Rest room with two hospital beds, she gives hot water bottles to women with dysmenorrhoea!

  Not surprisingly I was shown a cupboard full of OTC medicines!

  I was hoping to be able to quote some legislation as to why the OHN should not be administering OTC medication to back up my arguments. None of this medication is specifically related to hazards on site. It appears that if the Dr is willing to produce a standing order for this stuff then why shouldn't the OHN continue to administer it.  I can not find any evidence to back up my recommendation to remove this service.

  I have covered cost effectiveness in use Of OH time

  Safety issues keeping people at work who are ill and who work on production line

  Promoted pro active rather than reactive service

  Empowerment of First Aiders as she still sticks the plasters on

  This is a good time to reshape the service.  Your comments would be appreciated.

  Many thanks

  Elaine