Janet

I have an employee who is severly allergic to nuts and carries an epipen.  I obtained a dummy epipen from a company named by the Anaphylaxis Campaign.  It only cost about £6.

I have trained up 2 first aiders to give the epipen in the event of the employee becoming unable to give it himself.  I learnt a lot about it when school nursing as we had to train teachers to give the epipen.  I wrote a training package which I presented to them and then we practiced using the dummy epipen.  The employee himself was present for all of this and found it useful as he had never had any training himself how to use it.  He showed us where he kept his epipen - in which bag etc.  We also discussed problems with the provision of food in the restaurant and arranged for him to speak to the Manager etc.

I have recently given a refresher and intend to do this on a 6 monthly basis.

Hope this helps

Regards

Rosie Busfield