Helen

Without actually seeing the operation and being able to assess where exposure is possibly occurring it is impossible to give a precise suggestion as to what is happening. (It's a bit like trying to diagnose the wife's illness without seeing her just from the husband's description of the symptoms!)

It could be that the gilding foil has some form of adhesive coating. Equally it could be that there is something in the paper and the paper dust is getting on to the skin. Of course, these are mere speculations.

We are not medically qualified and do not do patch testing ourselves. However, if you need a recommendation I suggest you contact me off line and when I know where you are I can probably recommend someone local. It is important that when you send someone for patch testing you let the dermatologist have a list of the various substances with which they may have contact, otherwise he/she may not patch test with the right allergens and you may not get a helpful diagnosis.

You can get me on 01386 832 311 or my mobile 07818 035 898

Best regards
Chris Packham
EnviroDerm Services