Elaine mentions peer-review. This can be a problem, particularly where the study breaks new ground, or is in a field where there are very few with expert knowledge. I recently produced an article for a peer-reviewed journal. The reviewers comments, had I incorporated them into my article, would have resulted in this becoming incorrect and misleading. Incidentally, my refusal to incorporate these innacuracies into my article resulted in it not being published, so everyone in OH was (I believe) the poorer for not having access to the information. If articles are to be peer-reviewed it is essential that the reviewers have the appropriate knowledge and expertise to match the submitted article/study/review.

Chris Packham
EnviroDerm Services