From: jacqui livock [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 03 October 2004 17:31
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: employees problems with alcohol

Hi Helen

we too have an alcohol and substance abuse policy.basically if the person admits they have an issue then they are supported by their manager/HR. The policy includes details of contacts locally and nationally, we also have an employee assistance programme for the individual to contact.
If their role involves operating/woring near machinery then this is excluded until such a time as they have gained control of their issue.

OH are involved if a manager feels either they or the individual needs advice re: withdrawal symptoms etc.
Each individual is expected to see their GP within one week for help with withdrawal symptoms.

The individual is not expected to stop use instantly.

HR and managers draw up 'boundaries' outside which the disciplinary process is activated.The attendance at support agencies is voluntary however one manager has included attendance within the 'boundaries' for an individual who had lapsed on more than three occasions within one month.

Managers also insist that if the person is unfit for work due to their 'addiction' they are honest about this as a cause of their absence (it is not 'penalised' under the absence management policy) and it is seen as a positive step that they are acknowledging that their addiction is affecting work and most individuals work the time back.

Because it is 'acceptable' to ring in sick/late because of a 'fall off the wagon' this has so far encouraged honesty and trust between manager/employee. the health and safety aspect of the influence of alcohol on the individual at work is also managed in this way.

this supportive management technique has so far proved very successful for the individauls have admitted a problem. I have seen most of them if only to offer advice on what to expect during withdrawal and identifying lifestyle issues which increase the exposure to alcohol etc.
the individuals are grateful that someone is helping them and they recognise that they will lose their job if they do not address their habit.
the managers are happy because the individual is now 'fit' when they attend work.

this may seem like a 'softly' approach but the individuals i know who have lost their job because of their addiction have all spoken favourably of the compnay in its support and recognise their actions were the cause of their unemployment and not a 'heartless' company.

Incidentally we do not have a testing policy.
hope this helps
jacqui