Dear Sue,

In similar circumstances, my infection control team have advised not to worry about MRSA unless the person is unfortunate to develop a septicaemia.  It is unlikely that infection would be transmitted this way.  The only detection method would be by blood culture which is something only a medical practitioner would perform, and only if there was a clear clinical case for doing so.

Prophylaxis is unnecessary as it would be far more likely to cause significant health problems compared to MRSA risk.

It would be more likely for the person to acquire MRSA by everyday contact.

I'd also consider hepatitis C risk and the risk of other general localised infections.

Best wishes

Paul D'Arcy,
Occupational Health Manager (Acting)

Occupational Health
Hammersmith Hospital

Developing And Supporting People To Make Healthcare Better

Direct Line  020 8383 1024
Internal Ext 31024

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/08/2004 >>>
To all my colleagues in the NHS or infection control

Can you tell me what level of risk a domicillary care asst. would be at if she had a needle stick injury from a client who is MRSA pos. please? She has seen her GP but I am not sure what he did except to say tell OH!

There are certainly issues round a used needle being left by someone else and round Hep B but I am not sure about MRSA.

Thank you
Sue

*
**

Confidentiality Notice

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user of the e-mail address to which it is addressed and may also be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it in any form whatsoever. If you have received this e-mail in error please telephone the Hammersmith Hospitals NHS Trust IT department on 020 8746 5555. Please also delete the message from your computer.

**
*