thanks patrick
sorry for the confusion --- i am not talking about renewal of licence i am looking at drivers who are being investigated, such as those who have had absence with chest pain or planning to return following surgery or having musculoskeletal absence.
Currently i write to the GPs confirming the individual is fit to drive an LGV. this is not ideal as we all know how long we can wait for reports.

i too will be looking at continuing using GP for licence renewals. i am searching for existing working policies ...its that wheel invention thing again.
jacqui
"Lorenzen, Patrick" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
The company I work for has a number of HGV drivers. I have only been
here 7 months and I haven't seen routine checks on HGV drivers as a
priority yet. Historically most drivers went to their GP for renewal of
HGV licence although some saw our OH doctor. My experience is that a GP
is better placed to perform the renewal since they should have the
employee's previous medical records, and this will be the policy I will
be pursuing.

I would be interested to have a copy of your policy for loss of licence.
This will potentially be an issue.

While on the subject, if an HGV driver has a licence suspended due to a
medical condition which is under investigation, would it normally mean
they cannot drive a car or is this at the discretion of the Doctor/DVLC?

Cheers

Paddy Lorenzen
Occupational Health Manager