From: Maguire, Kevin [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 01 November 2004 13:05
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Stress & Riddor

This reminds me of other areas where something 'new' is expected to jump
over higher hurdles than accepted matters.  What is the standard of
proof of  a dermatitis or back pain being work-induced?  I am not
questioning that they are but pointing out that a reasonable assessment
and attribution is made for them and can be made for work- induced
mental ill-health.  As for defining mental illness, there are recognised
categories of illness that are reliably diagnosed; in particular anxiety
and depression are normally seen as the mental illnesses we associate
with stress.  As to the notion that "psychiatric damage" is of a lesser
status, do we not have the Walker ruling on this?

Kevin