Dear All

A few things I have picked up along the way which seem to help employees
get back to work earlier and phased return/rehabilitative programs
accepted by management/HR.

Discussing an informal workplace visit with the employee before the
return to work date and request that they arrange it. This is usually
really helpful for staff who have been off work with mental health
issues although has been beneficial for others. It automatically gives
the member of staff a sense of empowerment and control and is a good
first step to help them regain some confidence and self esteem in the
workplace again.

In terms of rehabilitation/phased returns, getting a feel from
management initially as to how supportive they are and what lengths they
are prepared to go to support this  individual in a phased return, this
will give guidance to the OH professional on how perhaps to get the best
outcomes for all concerned and also wording of reports etc.

All the best
Sara

Sara Werry
Occupational Health Adviser