From: Paul Richardson [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 22 June 2004 19:52
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Hexafluorine vs Calcium Gluconate in the treatment of HF
burns

Sorry, I shouldn't have used the term first aid, I should have said
secondary aid i.e. treatment at the department or after initial first
aid.  I can not quote the full procedure as the old memory ain't what
it used to be, but the calci chewable tabs were a preventative measure
for the minor incidents I guess.  The rubbing in of the cream for
15mins is for some reason stuck with me.  I also can not remember just
what the criteria or size of burn before they were admitted for
observation.  I think the following 24-48rs after exposure could be
problematic even if fine initially, please correct me if I am wrong.
Paul
Anne Harriss <[log in to unmask]> wrote on 22.06.2004, 18:50:40:
> on 22/6/04 9:59 am, Tracie McKelvie at [log in to unmask]
> wrote:
>
> > I was led to believe that water would "feed" the acid and cause further
> > damage???? and was taught to rub in the relevant cream.????
> >
> > Has the protocol changed?
> >
> > Tracie Mckelvie
> > Occupational Health Nurse / Adviser
> > Pembrokeshire College
> > Merlins Bridge
> > Haverfordwest
> > Pembs.
> > SA61 1SZ
> >
> > TEL: 01437 765247 Ext 393
> > FAX: 01437 767279
> > E-mail: [log in to unmask]

> > Dear Paul (et al)
> >
> > Sorry, but rubbing  in creams is wrong first aid. Prolonged washing to
rapidly
> > dilute & remove acid on the surface is the most vital initial treatment.
> > Topical applications of chemicals to precipitate the fluoride ion is a
2y
> > response. If systemic calcium is necessary, then this should be by local
> > injection, not ingestion.

& some
> >> cautionary tales (death from severe electrolyte imbalance in a 2.5%
surface
> >> area burn!)
> >>
> >> I'd recommend as compulsory reading for anyone who has HF burns as a
hazard
> >> on their manor.
> >>
> >> The review  emphasises that irrigation is the first line Rx. Other
chemical
> >> treatments follow this.
> >> It rates the efficacy of Hexafluorine & topical Calcium Gluconate as
good,
> >> but insufficient information available on Hexafluorine o side effects
> >> compare against other efficacious treatments.
> >>
> >> For very small burns, as is the usual in university laboratories, you
should
> >> also consider water as 1st line treatment. Always rapidly available,
> >> plentiful supply & always in-date. If pain relief is achieved, then the
> >> problem is solved & 2nd line treatment may be unnecessary.
> >>
> >> This may be a situation like with cyanide poisoning, where antidotes
are not
> >> made available in labs, to ensure that the essential 1st line low-tech
> >> treatment is not by-passed in the rush to use the sacred antidote.
> >>
> >> Aileen,
> >>
> >> Thanks for posting this. It has provoked me into looking at the
evidence &
> >> consider reviewing our practice!
> >>
> >> Dr. Alan Swann, BM, AFOM
> >> Director of Occupational Health
> >> Occupational Health Service
> >> Imperial College London
> >> Southside building
> >> South Kensington Campus
> >> London
> >> SW7 2AZ
> >> Tel:    +44 (20) 7594 9385
> >> Fax:    +44 (20) 7594 9407
> >> http://www.imperial.ac.uk/hq/occhealth/
> >> https://www.imperial.ac.uk/spectrum/occhealth (Intranet)

HF
> >> burns
> >>
> >> I am wondering if anyone might have current articles or information
> >> evidencing the use of hexafluorine vs. calcium gluconate for skin or
> >> ophthalmic exposures to hydrofluoric acid. I've been asked by one of
our
> >> labs about changing to hexafluorine but can't find much UK data to back
this
> >> up. Hex fluorine appears to be widely used as the treatment of choice
in
> >> Europe and the USA but I'd be grateful for any current UK thinking on
this.
> >> Regards
> >> Aileen
> >>

> >> Aileen Stewart
> >> University Of Glasgow
> >> Occupational Health Manager
> >> Tel (Direct) 0141 330 8069

> > --
> > Paul G Richardson BA RGN OND

> > "
> Not sure what you mean by "feeding" an acid. Are you confusing this with
> concentrated sulphuric acid. Water reacts violently with conc Sulphuric
acid
> when it is added to the acid but not the other way round. -Its all to do
> with reducing the concentration. Even a conc sulphuric acid splash would
be
> treated initially with irrigation with copious amounts of water.
>
>  Alan is quite correct water is always the first treatment in order to
> dilute/wash off the acid as quickly possible. Only when that treatment is
> complete should calcium gluconate be applied.
>

> Anne

Paul G Richardson BA RGN OND