on 8/6/04 6:18 pm, Nazmiye Bury at [log in to unmask] wrote:

Our managers record it on personal record cards in the individuals personal
files, as I do myself

Regards

Naz

From: Fields Shirley [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 08 June 2004 11:42
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Sickness Absences Monitoring

To NHS colleagues

I am currently in the process of trying to get the Trust (via managers) to
record reasons for absences. Has anyone got a similar process operating
within their Trust and willing to share ideas and information.

Thanks

Shirley Fields
Occupational Health Manager

Burton Hospitals NHS Trust

Queen's Hospital

Burton on Trent

DE13 0RB

01283 511511 ext 2372

For list archives and documents, go to
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html for list archives

For jobs in Occupational Health, go to
http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHJobs/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Please remove this
footer before replying.

For list archives and documents, go to
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html for list archives

For jobs in Occupational Health, go to
http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHJobs/

Hello Naz

How are you? Its nice to read your contributions on JISC.

Just a quick question. I fully acknowledge  the importance of absences being
recorded by line managers and HR. However, I know a number of OHNs do get
involved in recording such info but am not sure if I would go along with
OHNs in most services being involved in such routine record keeping on
several counts:

1. Attendance management is a management responsibility. The responsibility
should not lie with the OH service. This info can be provided if management
make a referral to OH

2. When I was in practice I barely had enough time to carry out all the
aspects of my role that I needed to undertake without taking on additional
administrative tasks.

There is one consultancy which was represented at an IRS  conference on
sickness absence that I chaired recently. They have an interesting approach
to recording of absences of the employees of their clients. All absences are
reported to a nurse (not an OHN) in a "contact centre" who then logs in the
absence and initiates one of a number of interventions. If anyone is
interested go their website is www.active-hp.co.uk

Anne Harriss