James,

I may have phrased the response poorly as I was in a rush to go to a meeting - everything must be risk based and of course you'd screen for the paeds ward - but on a specific risk basis including everything relevant!

Jackie
-----Original Message-----
From: Greta Thornbory [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 18 March 2004 14:29
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Pre-employment for volunteers??

Yes , but not OH screening they will need to go thru CRB as do many other volunteers.

As a Community First Responder (i.e. a volunteer that is sent out by the Ambulance Service on 999 calls with oxygen and a defib) we have a paper health screen and we must be CRB cleared. The paper health screen is a bit of a laugh though - my friend, also a responder and just over 60, ex nurse, said she had arthritis in her knees on the form so they said she is 'not fit'. They have not interviewed her, nor have they asked her GP. She does have an enormous vegetable garden that she tends with no problem!!!!! So far the OX Ambulance Service have ignored the advice that she is not fit. - Oh and she saved a life a few weeks ago so she is doing a worthwhile service!

I'd go with the risk assessment for the volunteer jobs and a paper screen at least to cover yourself. After all a lot of volunteer jobs do not require a lot of manual or physical work and in my experience there are a lot of sedentary, overweight young people who can't manage to work properly and are at far greater risk of doing themselves damage and they still seem to get employed!

Greta

Greta Thornbory
Consultant, Occupational Health & Education
www.gtenterprises-uk.com
Tel: 01235 770156
Mob: 07778 518 027