From: Jo Jenkins [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 10 February 2004 13:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Right of Refusal

All

I wonder if anyone can advise me - last week had a situation where an
individual with breathing problems was attended to by a first aider who
advised him that he needed to be seen at the local A&E department.  The
first aider wanted to call an ambulance. This individual has an on going
history of dyspnoea

The 'casualty' refused his advice and also refused the first aider
permission to telephone his wife to come and collect him. He went home by
Taxi (thank goodness nothing happened).

As an interim measure we have put a diclaimer in place.  Can anyone advise
me if we have the right to force (for want of a better word)the casualty to
go to hospital if we feel that the individuals health is at great risk or
would this be seen as an infringement of human rights?  Would a disclaimer
be sufficient if the casualty then left the premises by his own accord and
then collapsed?

Thanks

Jo

This Email together with any attachments is confidential and intended solely for the person to whom it is addressed. The unauthorised use, distribution, copying or alteration of the e-mail is forbidden and may be unlawful. If you have received the same in error, please advise the sender immediately by returning the e-mail and then delete it from your system.

As Internet communications are not secure, Martin-Baker Aircraft Company Limited does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this e-mail or attachments. Furthermore, you should carry out such virus and other checks as considered appropriate to ensure that the opening and/or use of this e-mail and any attachments does not adversely affect other systems or data, for which Martin-Baker Aircraft Company Limited can accept no legal responsibility.