Car

I have another young relative at UCL and he has not complained, so you're
in the clear!

The issue over students did not arise over COSHH.  But it seems to me that
under COSHH Reg 3(1) a university must treat the protection of students
just as if they were employees, whether they legally are or not, even
undergraduates!  The exception in COSHH (important I expect for OH
services) is the need to provide health surveillance.  More generally, I
think that the risk assessment and protection provisions of the  Management
of Health and Safety at Work Regs also apply to non-employees, but again, I
think, not health surveillance.  Does anyone know better?

Trevor

At 16:39 04/02/2004, you wrote:
>Hi Trevor
>
>I work in a university where OH is for staff only but we do see post
>grad students if we are notified that they are going to be exposed to
>hazards as part of their studies. <snip>

(Dr) Trevor Ogden
Editor in Chief, Annals of Occupational Hygiene
Annals on-line at http://www3.oup.co.uk/annhyg/
North American Editor:
Professor Stephen Rappaport, [log in to unmask]