I must admit that we tend to document whether the client has rung us or we have rung them and the arrangements that have been agreed for the next contact. We try not to ring 'out of the blue' but write to them and ask them to contact us at their convenience.
We will probably get accused of harassment however for writing to them!!

[Amanda Dowson]

 -----Original Message-----
From: diane romano woodward [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 06 January 2004 11:01
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Confidentiality of records

Hello all
Tribunal does not necessarily equate with disciplinary action- it may be some "contest" as to how the firm responded to a health issue.
I have had the unpleasant experience of, having supported an employee through a return to work for work related stress, being accused by their solicitor of "harassing the employee by telephone". I now make a note of who initiated a phone call each time in the notes, as that level of detail was asked of me. The employee's case against the firm  looked less strong  when I produce her handwritten thank you card, thanking me for all my help (which I had kept as part of the medical record)
Sometimes the employees are OK but when solicitors get hold it can take quite a different turn.

I agree that dates of appointments are usually known, and I would often email a manager to say that I had spoken with an employee on long term sick (the employee knew I was going to do this). I agree with Lucy- HR  knows that OH records are usually in good order. if it comes to a tribunal the employee is likely to have given written  permission to disclose to the firms legal department. If not , then err on the side of caution.

Happy New Year