Dear Elaine

What about suggesting compromises? If the staff are used to this 'nursing' service, they are not only going to miss it if it is discontinued at a stroke, but are likely to feel resentful which could be counterproductive to overall OccHealth service. What's wrong with having a rest room where women with dysmen. can lie down with or without a hot water bottle? the OH nurse doesn't necessarily have to minister to them, or even be around.Ditto people with migraine, post epileptic fit etc etc.most of these people will go back to work after half an hour or so whereas otherwise they would more than likely have gone home. I've found giving people a chance to discuss their general health concerns reaps benefits both in their view of the overall OH service and in keeping them productive at work and it doesn't have to take up much time. A paracetamol machine will solve most peoples OTC medication needs. I agree about empowering first aiders

Allthe best
Margaret

 From: Elaine Dobson [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 29 January 2004 11:37
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: TREATMENT SERVICE

Dear All

I have prepared a presentation for a company who has asked for an assessment and recommendations for the future of their OH service.  I am happy with it so far but would like some more "ammunition" as to why the present treatment service should be discontinued.

Current service

SEN who has been in post for 20 years and is retiring - wears uniform!

Rest room with two hospital beds, she gives hot water bottles to women with dysmenorrhoea!

Not surprisingly I was shown a cupboard full of OTC medicines!

I was hoping to be able to quote some legislation as to why the OHN should not be administering OTC medication to back up my arguments. None of this medication is specifically related to hazards on site. It appears that if the Dr is willing to produce a standing order for this stuff then why shouldn't the OHN continue to administer it.  I can not find any evidence to back up my recommendation to remove this service.

I have covered cost effectiveness in use Of OH time

Safety issues keeping people at work who are ill and who work on production line

Promoted pro active rather than reactive service

Empowerment of First Aiders as she still sticks the plasters on

This is a good time to reshape the service.  Your comments would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Elaine

"This transmission is strictly confidential and intended solely for the addressee. It may contain information which is covered by legal, professional or other privilege. If you are not the intended addressee, you must not disclose, copy or take any action in reliance on this transmission. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify us as soon as possible."