From: Swann, Alan B [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 08 December 2004 13:40
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: More Hep B debate...

Immunity to Hep B infection is achieved if, following a complete course of
vaccination, the person achieves an anti-HBs level of >10miu/ml.

The 100miu/ ml level used to be thought necessary to achieve lasting
immunity (stimulating production of memory cells- the amnestic response).
However, studies have now shown that this is achieved at levels greater than
10.

Another reason 100miu/ml was considered important in the past was the belief
that this was proof the person was not infected with HepB. Chronic HepB
infection tends to produce low levels of anti-HBs [if the person could
produce a strong response, they'd clear the infection].

A level of >100 could only be produced through vaccine-induced anti-body
response.

This is now questioned as some HepB virus variants do not stimulate anti-HBs
production & so a person might produce a good response to HepB vaccination,
despite already having been infected & still infectious with one of the
mutant strains. This is why direct serological tests for infection [HBsAg]
is now required for all EPP workers, rather than only testing those who
failed to respond well to vaccination.

So the 100miu/ml level has no special relevance now. We should perhaps
encourage our pathology colleagues to stop classifying anti-HBs tests into
the <10, 10-99 and >100 ranges and especially get rid of the 'poor response'
label to the 10-99 range. If it's greater than 10, it is good enough!

Dr. Alan Swann, BM, AFOM

Director of Occupational Health

Occupational Health Service

Imperial College London