At 19:09 11/05/2004, you wrote:

>Greta has raised an interesting point re copyright. I suspect that
>academic libraries may have a special license to send just one copy to a
>recipient.

I have an interest in this as a journal editor, but by no means an expert
on copyright.  I doubt whether any such licence exists (but are there any
librarians on the list?), but the idea of 'fair dealing' is important.  If
a library subscribes to a journal (or if you do personally) then the
publisher has had some payment, and in practice will not object to single
copies of small parts of the journal for use by staff, even though making a
copy is a breach of copyright.  Making a copy to supply to someone else who
might otherwise have to subscribe, or pay a fee to get a copy, is probably
different.  After all, the journal does cost money to produce.

Everything in this field is being transformed rapidly by the on-line
publishing revolution.  With my own journal, a researcher  might find a
paper we have published from the contents list or by a Google search, and
if they want a copy of that single paper, they can then download one from
our website for $23.  This kind of arrangement is widespread for academic
journals, and in due course may largely replace subscriptions, but I think
that Occupational Health Review (the subject of the original enquiry) does
not yet have an on-line edition.

Trevor

(Dr) Trevor Ogden
Editor in Chief, Annals of Occupational Hygiene
http://annhyg.oupjournals.org/
North American Editor:  Professor Stephen Rappaport, [log in to unmask]