Andrew Wilson wrote:

> there must
> be more fun and enlightening things to invent with locative media (if
> that's what it's called and whatever it is. Is there a definition of
> that phrase anywhere?) than "watch out, they're behind you!"

I like Ed Mac Gillavry's <www.webmapper.net> definition: "an initiative
to collectively create models of real-world locations online, that
people can then access and use to virtually annotate locations in
space. The value of the annotations is determined by physical and
social proximity (expressed in distance and “degrees of separation”).
Thus, the information is not only filtered based on proximity, but also
ranked according to the trust one person has in another person through
social networks"

but that may be a bit a bit of a functional definition... too much web
cartography (i guess in that sense responding with yasir's call) and
not enough art.

According to wikipedia: "The locative case corresponds vaguely to the
preposition "in", "at", or "by" of English and indicates a final
location of action or a time of the action."
<en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locative_case>

But regarding "more fun and enlightening things to invent with locative
media... than "watch out, they're behind you!""... i don't mean to
suggest that vigilance re: surveillance shouldn't be a foremost concern
in locative work, but rather... I'd propose that _it's already there,
at the core of what's motivated much of the work _ so much so, in fact,
that it almost goes without saying...  (not sure if anyone's with me
here...)

If we follow Ed's definition from above... building a "accessible" maps
where location is, for example, measured by degrees of trust... that's
a perilous path no doubt (Friendster ---> Total Information Awareness)
but it's also an activist project towards constructing what i reckon
(as I suggested in my first post to) amounts to a new public realm,
accessed by the most "accessible" communications technology in history,
the mobile phone...

Of the people I've met who're making mapping hacks for mobile devices,
they're doing so because they're feel like they want to, or _need to_
do something.

The artists, hackers, activists, whatever[ists]... that I am thinking
of (such a large proportion of whom are from the UK), have a  profound
concern & commitment to public life...

Is it any coincidence that in the UK (where CCTV is most prevalent)
technological SURVEILLANCE is just a fact of everyday life...

It's not some theory about "normative biopower" (although that applies
in spades too)... IT JUST _IS_!