Beryl - perhaps a good source of the numerous histories and genealogies of
media work is evident in the application designed by by Martin Wattenberg
where he has documented and continues to document new media projects...

<http://www.whitney.org/artport/commissions/idealine.shtml>IDEA LINE by
Martin Wattenberg
A Net Art Idea Line
Mapping lines of thought through time

 From the beginning, net art has travelled multiple paths. More than a
medium, the net is a environment uniquely hospitable to many diverse media:
programming and animation, video and audio, gameplay and community. Each
individual artist picks up these threads and weaves them in novel
combinations. The Idea Line is designed to let you follow these threads of
thought yourself, and discover how each work is part of a larger tapestry.

­ <mailto:[log in to unmask]>Martin Wattenberg
<http://www.whitney.org/artport/commissions/#>Launch Idea Line (39K; java
required)
Instructions

The Idea Line displays a timeline of net artworks, arranged in a fan of
luminous threads. Each thread corresponds to a particular kind of artwork
or type of technology. The brightness of each thread varies with the number
of artworks that it contains in each year, so you can watch the ebb and
flow of different lines of thought over time.

As you move your mouse over the lines, they will open up to reveal titles
of artworks. Place the mouse on top of a title to learn more about the
work. Click to launch the work itself. Right-click (shift-click on a Mac)
to highlight other pieces by the same artist.

If you are looking for a particular title or artist, type into the text box
at the upper left. You'll be able to see your search results in the context
of the overall idealine.

Questions about the Idea Line collection

How was the list of artworks made?
We sent out a public request for help to several net art forums. Almost one
hundred artists responded. In addition, we entered data on many popular or
influential artworks that were not covered in this response. A
<http://www.whitney.org/artport/commissions/../commissions/idealine/textonly.html>text-only
list of the artworks (146K) is available.

Can I get on the Idea Line?
Yes. You can send an e-mail with information about your projects to
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask] Please follow the
categories of the text-only list of the artworks and submit the following
information: Artist, Title of Project, URL, Year, Keywords and Technologies
(from the list that the Idealine displays) and a brief description. You can
also add important works by other artists that we may have overlooked.
(Note that we currently limit each artist to five works total.) We will
periodically update the idealine to use new information.

How do I update my information?
If you want to update information about your artwork, also let us know at
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]

Context for this work: net art catalogs and maps
<http://www.rhizome.org/artbase>Rhizome Artbase extensive, detailed, up to
date.
<http://www.calarts.edu/~line/history.html>A timeline of net art by Natalie
Bookchin, 1999.
<http://cyberatlas.guggenheim.org>Guggenheim Cyberatlas Many maps, 1998.
<http://map.jodi.org>map.jodi.org after a network diagram, 1997.

Credits
Above all, credit goes to nearly one hundred artists who helped compile the
idea line data.
Thanks to: Christiane Paul, Marek Walczak, Laura Wattenberg

At 13:27 03/09/2004, you wrote:
>Dear List,
>
>Thanks for all your useful postings so far. On my side, I've been
>gathering some examples of categories (and keywords), and have put 11
>of them in a table for comparison:
>
>http://www.crumbweb.org/crumb/phase3/append/taxontab.htm
>
>In relation to Charlie Gere's last posting, I think that Christiane
>Paul usefully divides her Thames and Hudson Book into sections on
>Tools, Media and Themes.  For me, some of the most useful categories
>for me are those which concern "medium-independent behaviours"
>(Ippolito) such as Steve Dietz's  "Interactivity, Connectivity,
>Computability".
>
>What do others think?
>
>Yours,
>
>Beryl
>

>--
>Beryl Graham
>Tel: +44 191 515 2896     email:  [log in to unmask]
>Curatorial Resource for Upstart Media Bliss  http://www.crumbweb.org

However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.