Interesting.

From a personal POV, I've only recently started thinking of myself as a curator - I always
thought you had to be 'educated' in a certain way, or have worked in certain institutions
to be granted such a title. I've recently changed my mind, or perhaps am undergoing a
process where I'm wanting to become - officially? - a new media curator.

I think New Media in particular is SO new (comparatively:) that different rules apply. I
know technology far better than i know a 'venue'. I know an online audience far better
than physical visitors, and I wouldn't dream to assume that my skills (as they are) would
apply across the borders. However, is an online curator still a curator - do you have to
have 'met' your artists in order to curate them?

I have come to see our 'exhibitions' more as 'systems' - e.g. here's the technical
limitations of the final distribution format (but not the sole distribution format), go
get creative. Or, IMHO your work (or message) would suit this format, would you make
something that works in this sense for us.

It's often through our education programme that we find someone really talented and
develop that interest in them, rather than target an artist with an outright commission.
So, if we design systems, and run education programmes that result in new work being made
and exhibited, is that curating or organising? Is it just the 'selection' process where
the curation comes in, or have we already established our criteria via the brief or its
presentation format?

So to expand on my own question, 'Am I curator?'...should I find out by applying for
'other organisation/venues' curatorial positions, or by continuing internally to create
opportunities for exhibiting creativity? Is it the brand or the dream that stimulates a
good exhibition?

Hmmmmm...

 >> more info <<

http://www.the-phone-book.ltd.uk - creative content for mobile phones worldwide